Thursday, February 20, 2014

Bikini Competitor Success Secret #2 - Be a Minimalist



          My next secret to successfully competing in a Bikini competition is to use a minimalist approach.  First, let’s cut straight to the chase and define what constitutes a minimalist approach:

          The minimalist approach = Getting the most results possible (body fat loss, muscle gain) from your training by doing the least amount of exercise and “dieting” possible.

          You, like most women, may be thinking, “Wait. Say, what?!?  Don’t I need to train in “beast mode” to get that shredded bikini physique?  Are you telling me there is a shortcut?”

          No, there are no shortcuts.  What I am suggesting is a more intelligent approach that allows the final competition prep “beast mode” phase of training to be shorter, more intense, and much more effective in removing that last bit of stubborn body fat that separates first from last place.

          Many women who decide that they want to compete in a Bikini competition (or not compete but attain a bikini competitor like-body) tend to go all out as soon as they commit to competing.  Many women have the mindset of an “all or nothing” approach and immediately restrict their food intake and hit the gym every day for 2+ plus hours with the idea that “I am going to sweat this fat off!”   They also tend to research Pro competitor’s pre-competition training programs and copy what they do for their own prep instead of what they actually need.  I truly applaud you for your mental toughness and determination to succeed but what if I told you that this approach can be dangerous and, in fact, counterproductive to getting that bikini body?

          The minimalist approach is taking on the total opposite mindset.  The true minimalist seeks out the least amount of training stress possible to achieve the most amount of results.  Then, when the results start to plateau, the minimalist gradually manipulates variables (i.e. training, nutrition, recovery) to keep the results coming.  It’s not about being lazy, it’s about being smart and taking a sustainable, more effective approach.


          Not a believer?

          Consider this:


          This article below discusses how prolonged low carbohydrate diets directly cause down regulation of T3 and reverse T3, two important thyroid hormones that strongly influence metabolic rate and overall health.  More and more weekly additions of training volume (cardio, HIIT) and caloric restriction must be included in the program to compensate and continue body fat loss, often at the expense of valuable muscle tissue and more significant and widespread hormonal disruption. 


          This explains why many competitors have discovered that, at a certain point during intense dieting, the body starts to fight back and fat loss can come to a screaming halt despite more and more additions to the training program.

          In summary, while going harder right off the bat may seem like the faster path to fat loss, the reality seems to be it is actually the fast path to metabolic down regulation and burnout.

          On the other hand, the minimalist never needs to go this far to achieve their goals.  By contrast, since the goal of the minimalist approach is to achieve a greater amount of fat loss with the least amount of stress possible, she is able to maintain a strong metabolic rate and optimal hormonal profile for as long as possible leading up to the competition.

          I sincerely hope by now you are convinced that the minimalist approach is the way to go.  So, how can you become a minimalist and still get the results you need to rock a tight and shapely bikini body? 

          The minimalist approach:

          Resistance train a few days (3-5) per week to encourage building and maintaining the lean muscle mass that forges a feminine yet strong bikini body shape. Make sure you take full days off so that your damaged muscles (and stressed nervous system) can repair, adapt, and grow.

          Condition yourself intelligently with a balance of low and high intensity cardio (meaning no crazy excessive HIIT sessions or 2+ hour training sessions 20 weeks out from a show…or ever).  Your time spent conditioning should be substantially less than your time resistance training (don’t forget, bikini is a division of bodybuilding and judges do reward the right amount of muscle!) unless within 12 weeks of a show.  Despite the trendy HIIT craze, it is OK to only resistance train and perform steady state conditioning for periods of time to emphasize muscle growth if needed.

          Keep your food intake as high as possible!  You want your intake to support your ability to gain/maintain muscle with your training, aid in recovery, and give you plenty of fuel to drive the intensity of your workouts.  With an ample amount of high quality calories from whole foods you will create a supercharged metabolism and should not feel deprived or have intense cravings that can lead to binge eating patterns.

          As you get closer to your end goal you can start to trim around the edges a little bit to break through plateaus that you encounter. 
  
          Example guidelines for making minimalist adjustments following a plateau: 
  • Increase the intensity (i.e., more HIIT or intervals) or duration (i.e., more time for either type) of your conditioning first and see how that effects your progress.  Do not add more intensity or duration (30 minutes max) than you can handle without losing intensity within your resistance program.
  • Next, if you are still not getting the results after a week or cannot add more conditioning, you can start to tighten up your nutrition a little bit by taking away as little food as possible to support fat loss and encourage plateau breakthroughs.  Simple, yet successful strategies for manipulating your nutrition include reducing total carbohydrates by 15g each day or reducing carb intake by 30-45 grams on non-workout days (carb cycling). 
  •  Finally, if all else seems ineffective, take an extra day or two off.  This is why allowing enough time in your prep is essential.

          As you can see, I always recommend making adjustments to your training first and monitoring your progress before making changes to your nutrition.  Like most women, I would much rather increase my intensity in the gym before giving up my food. :-)

          By slowly making adjustments to your training and nutrition you will be able to stabilize your energy throughout your training and avoid falling into a severe state of deprivation and stagnation.  

      By following a minimalist approach you effectively minimize the potential for metabolic down regulation, muscle wasting, and hormonal disruption while maximizing your ability to break through plateaus when they do occur by making subtle changes.

XOXO,
 
Abby

P.S. - Last week, I published a full weeks’ worth of great minimalist workouts ("Bikini Competitor Success Secret #1 - Build a Foundation")  pulled from my upcoming eBook, “Bikini Beauty.”  Comment below and let me know how they went!

Check out these related articles:

"Bikini Competitor Success Secret #1 - Build a Foundation"

"Bikini Competitor Success Secret #3 - Attitude is Everything"

"My Biggest Nutrition Pet Peeve... Ever!"

"The Skinny on Fat"


8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for these posts! It encouraged me to know that I am making the right decision for myself...to train for a full year to build tons of muscle and have a winning foundation, instead of prepping for 3 months and entering a competition right away. I believe that there is a lot of benefit from getting the experience of competing as much as possible, but for me personally, I want to grow these glutes and step on stage with the necessary muscle I need to place. I received good advice from a trainer, similar to yours, that I can't cut at this point or else I'll be a twig on stage (need that foundation)! I really appreciate your well thought through advice!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin! Thank you so much for reading my blog and your feedback. You got it right girl and I think that all your hard work and patience will truly pay off! Keep me posted with your progress, I always love to hear!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Abby! My first attempt at competing landed me in a not-great place and using this technique will be a healthier way to go for both prep and post-show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I am sorry to hear that your first competition prep didn't go over so well. Just know that you are not alone and that you always have another chance to reassess, improve, and accomplish your goals. Good luck!!

      Delete
  3. I do strongly agree with your post " Bikini Competitor Success Secret #2 - Be a Minimalist ", please keep updates on this subject. Kind regards,i have a relative website ,How to build muscle fast without fat. Get ripped, Get shredded and break through any muscle building plateau.
    more information check muscle building plateaus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Faduma! Thank you for reading my blog and the feedback. I will check your site at too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with that less is more. I think that when people start training they think they should eat less, and exercise more which then results in metabolic damage!

    It is not sustainable in the long term. Totally agree with you x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just came across your blog tonight and I'm loving it! This post is exactly what I've been doing. I started training in January of this year and in March decided to compete. I have a coach that also adjusts my diet each month based on my fat loss/muscle gain. My goal is to compete in September. For a while I felt like I had to train on my rest days and would make myself get to the gym every day of the week, but now I know better and stick to the 5 days of quality training. I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of the blog. I have a feeling I will be up all night!

    ReplyDelete