Tuesday, August 7, 2012

What I Learned From Intermittent Fasting (IF)


          I briefly want to share my conclusion with the LeanGains IF protocol I had been following and catch you up on what I am currently doing.  So what is my conclusion?

          I am not following the IF protocol strictly anymore. I found that it was too challenging to stick with on weekends because I wanted to have more flexibility to eat when I wanted and I hated not having any carbs on Saturdays or Sundays when in the past my husband and I would enjoy our free meal together on one of these two days with a date night.  Working out everyday at 12 was hard with my work schedule.  So now I periodically fast on days that are difficult to prep food such as early mornings when I have to run out of the door, traveling, and on the following day that I ate above and beyond my daily requirements.

          I am back to eating small meals throughout the day including breakfast.  I have been successful in losing weight by simply tightening up around the edges with my food intake throughout the day.

          The greatest lesson that I learned from IF was that its OKAY to go without food for a few hours.  Your body will not eat up all of that hard earned muscle.  I know with confidence that I can function just fine without eating first thing in the morning and now I don't have to stress out so much while traveling.  I would rather fast than eat crappy food when I have limited choices and know that my body will not suffer dramatically from this decision.

          I still train on an empty stomach.  I try to eat about 2-3 hours before I lift or do cardio.  I simply enjoy my workouts more, feel stronger or  run faster and look forward to a yummy post workout meal.

 Here is an example of food I take in on an average day.  I consume about 1850 calories daily.

6 am Wake Up
630 Breakfast- 4 eggs/ 2 full 2 white, 1/4 cup of oatmeal with cinnamon and 1/2 banana, 1 cup of green tea with a dash of agave nectar or honey

8am cardio- 45- 60 minutes
9am post workout- 1 scoop whey protein and 1 apple sliced with cinnamon

12 Lunch- 4oz Chicken in 1/3 cup brown rice, 1/3 cup kidney beans, and 2 cups of steamed veggies and either a handful of nuts or 1 tbsp of almond butter

3pm Lift- 1 scoop of Xtend -BCAA with workout
Post workout snack- 3/4 cup of cottage cheese and 1 peach

7pm dinner- 4 oz lean red meat and TONS of veggies and 1 tbsp of almond butter

Bedtime- 1/2 scoop of whey and 1/2 casein (I am sensitive to casein protein so I have to split my serving)


XOXO,

Abby

What to learn more about my IF experiment?  Be sure to check out:

"Have You Ever Asked Yourself  'What IF?' -Experiments With Intermittent Fasting "

"Update #1 on IF Progress"



Interested in more info about competing in Bikini? My Bikini Competitor newsletter is designed to help you develop that lean, sexy bikini body. Plus, as an extra bonus, you 'll also get a FREE Bikini Competition Starter Kit E-Book...download it now!
 
Interesting Image
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm really happy I fell upon your blog and I'm going to be following!

    bikini swimsuit

    ReplyDelete